Here. Other neuroleptic uses in children get covered.
1) Abilify is already number one for aggressiveness in young people.
2) Almost none have a mood disorder. Most have ADHD complicated by Oppositional Defiant Disorder or Conduct Disorder (ODD plus criminality).
3) Abilify is the greatest anti-anger medication in the history of mankind. It works like an amphetamine. It is not an amphetamine, and does not improve ADHD symptoms. It reduces impulsivity, and over-reactivity to trivial slights. It wears off like amphetamines. It is short acting like amphetamines. Parents speak of all symptoms recurring after forgetting it for one day, and their resolution upon receiving it late. It has an activiating property in most kids after initial sedation side effects.
4) The advice for its use in bipolar disorder is quite inappropriate. A doctor will only follow the directions once. Kids experience far more nausea, akathesia (restless legs), and rigidity. All patients receive prescriptions for benztropine 0.5 mg or 1 mg if over 120 lbs. Few will use it. However, parents must be warned about distressing Parkinsonian side effects. All patients, even big ones, get 5 mg for at least a week. The prudent clinician may wish to start 2 mg. About 70% of patients respond. Every 6 months or so, the dose has to get split into halves, then it has to get increased. Upon reaching 30 mg a day, the recommended maximum, one may increase the dose. However, one should get an Abilify blood level. In children, doses up to 80 mg may be needed to achieve the blood levels of others on 30 mg. If the blood level is that of average patients on 30 mg, and the response remains poor, Abilify does not work. The blood level may be run at a lab in Willow Grove, PA, for around $110.
5) These effects were discovered by clinicians across the nation. They did not communicate, nor influence each other. The patients and their long suffering, emotional, tearfully grateful parents taught it to the doctors.
6) Abilify is safer than all now available over the counter medications, both in use, and in overdose, accidental and intentional. The 2 mg dose should be available over the counter. Anger is a major public health problem. Most people with bad tempers will never submit to treatment. They may treat themselves at the urgings of their families or employers.